The NEBOSH National General Certificate covers the main legal requirements for health and safety in the UK, identification and control of workplace hazards, and the practical application of this knowledge. The syllabus is mapped to the National Occupational Standards for Health and Safety owned by Proskills.
The qualification is divided into three units, each of which is assessed separately:
• Management of Health and Safety (NGC1)
• Controlling workplace hazards (NGC2)
• Health and safety practical application (NGC3)
The NEBOSH General Certificate course syllabus is made up of the following units:
• Foundations in health and safety
• Health and safety management systems - Plan
• Health and safety management systems - Do
• Health and safety management systems - Check
• Health and safety management systems - Act
• Workplace hazards and risk control
• Transport hazards and risk control
• Musculoskeletal hazards and risk control
• Work equipment hazards and risk control
• Electrical safety
• Fire safety
• Chemical and biological health - hazards and control
• Physical and psychological health - hazards and control
Units NGC1 and NGC2 are taught units each assessed by a two-hour written examination. Each written examination consists of ten short-answer questions and one long-answer question. All questions are compulsory. Candidate scripts are marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH.
Unit NGC3 is assessed by one two-hour practical examination carried out in the candidate's own workplace. The assessment must normally be taken within 10 working days of a written examination. The practical examination is internally assessed by Keep Safe Solutions and externally moderated by NEBOSH.
If you are currently unemployed, we can usually arrange somewhere for you to conduct a workplace assessment. If this is something you require, please contact us before booking.
Candidates will be awarded a unit certificate for each unit passed. Once a candidate has successfully completes all three units (NGC1, GC2 and GC3), the overall qualification parchment will be issued.
Certificates are forwarded directly to the candidate by NEBOSH approximately 16 weeks after the completion of the course although results are usually issued within 10 weeks.
There are NO hidden extras to pay on top of our health and safety training course prices, unlike other providers who charge extra for things like study books and exam fees.
NEBOSH General Certificate course delegates will receive full course materials and extras at no extra cost, including:
• The course study book
• Revision materials
• All examination fees
• All certification fees
• Ongoing support
No previous health and safety knowledge is required but candidates should note the assessment includes a requirement to write a short report. Therefore the standard of English required by candidates studying the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety must be such that they can both understand and articulate the concepts contained in the syllabus.
NEBOSH's unit based approach will allow you to gain additional units to achieve new qualifications without having to study or be assessed on topics that you have already covered in a previous NEBOSH qualification.
A delegate may chose to specialise in a certain industry of health and safety, such as construction or fire safety, in which case they may chose to undertake the NEBOSH National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety or the NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management.
For a more in-depth knowledge students may progress onto a higher level qualification such as the NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
• A safer workplace - health and safety is important. It protects people from injury and loss of life. People with a NEBOSH General Certificate know how to help their employer avoid prosecution, litigation, absence costs and loss of reputation, wherever they operate
• Assurance - an employer who trains their staff NEBOSH health and safety is an employer committed to health and safety. A NEBOSH General Certificate provides an assurance of safety - something that can help employers achieve recognised standards and can even win new business
• Return on investment - An employee with a NEBOSH General Certificate has a practical set of skills that bring real value to the modern global workplace
• Greater knowledge - Individuals will have a much more in-depth knowledge of hazards and their control measures as well as an increased competence at managing health and safety risks and employees, enabling them to become more effective and professional managers, thus increasing their chances at career progression within their workplace
• Future employability - The NEBOSH National General Certificate is one of the most widely respected health and safety qualification, bar none, and is valued immensely by employers in all industries and sectors. Delegates who successfully complete the course an obtain the qualification greatly increase their chances of being employed in the future
• Formal recognition - successful completion of the course and the achievement of the NEBOSH National General Certificate meets the criteria for Technical Membership of IOSH, meaning the candidate is formally recognised by not just their colleagues, but also their professional's awarding body
Copyright © 2017 - 2018 Keep Safe Solutions Ltd. All Rights Reserved.